Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A first cousin

At 1:35 pm on December 4th Anjali was blessed with her very first cousin. We were excitedly waiting for the arrival of Ranesh Wickramatillake. Of course Anjali has no idea of what a 'cousin' is but she figured we were pretty excited about it, and realized that CD mami and Aseni nandi now have a little baby, when two weeks ago they didn't. I also realized that she took it to mean something special... when she started pulling things I had bought for Ranesh, I said 'dont pull, that its for your cousin' and she quickly put it away... so I abused the "its for your cousin" slogan a bit (anything for my toddler defense arsenal). Of course this has given me an excuse to buy boy stuff...Now she is waiting to see cousin 'wanesh' (she still does not say the R right!). CD and Aseni congrats...! We can't wait to see him...

As traditional as my brother is he called Sri Lanka with the time of birth for the 'akuru' for an auspicious name. When I spoke to my mother she asked me to write down the letters, I figured its just two and thought I'd keep it in my head, but as Amma rattled past the fourth letter I thought to myself 'wait this is half the alphabet'! Apparently if you live abroad you get more letters and 'better' letters so you can make more worldly names... another one of those Sri Lankan idiosyncrasies. But we love Ranesh... I told CD it sounds like a fast bowler... cant you hear it?

1 comment:

Kirk Davis said...

Hi Rosh!!

Wow, I didn't know you had a daughter (and now a niece as well!).

Anjali looks beautiful, just like her mom. Sounds like you're enjoying the great pacific northwest, I'm really truly happy for you.

I just flew back to the U.S. for a week. I'm not sure if you remember my grandfather, he was quite old - he has finally passed away at age 93, almost 94. I made it in time to say goodbye, and he passed last night. I was looking through old photos, and saw one of you, which made me wonder how you're doing. Seems like you're doing great!!

Anyway - my grandpa's funeral is this friday, and I fly back to Thailand on monday (Yui and I are still working on kids... no luck yet, but we just started).

And hey - looks like the name "Denali" is still up for grabs, ha ha! *grin*

I'm on facebook, if you ever want to look me up, or you can email me using my old hotmail email if you still have it (kirkabroad at hotmail), the one I set up for my first trip to Sri-Lanka in 1996. So long ago!

Your friend,
Kirk